Saturday, November 17, 2007

Is U2 entering Rolling Stones/Eagles/classic rocker et all territory?

I have to say something about this. Basic price for the new "Limited Edition" 2cd/dvd Joshua Tree re-release...$50+. Are you serious? Yes, I know it will be on sale from time to time..."sale" meaning $40 (or probably somewhere in the low $30s if you make it to Best Buy's door at 3am on Friday). Come on. A remastered album (should have happened 10 years ago). A "bonus disc", which really amounts to 5 songs, as any moderate fan already has the Best of B-sides released 7 years ago, and a live dvd, with as far as I can tell no behind-the-scenes/making-of, etc (I could be wrong, correct me if I am). But if this is really it for that price...well...then relevance is on a sharp decline with this, a very-subpar last album, and ticket prices out-the-roof (yes, I am aware of the show they put on, I've seen them 7 times). I understand. I would like to make lots of scratch too...but we are headed to Rolling Stones/Eagles territory here. At least in my opinion.

I don't recall Bruce Springsteen charging this much for the 30th Anniversary Edition of the arguably superior "Born to Run", which did actually come with a making of dvd AND concert dvd. If you don't own it, I'd advise you to purchase this, and wait on the J-Tree. Once again, just my opinion.

Note: I do believe I stand corrected. Apparently the dvd does include "Outside It's America", a documentary of sorts from The Joshua Tree tour and the "never-before-seen" video to "Red Hill Mining Town". I will still tell you it's too much. But hey, thats just me...and I'm poor right now :)

2 comments:

J. Lincoln Hurst said...

I don't remember the Born to Run set being much lowe than that, though I didn't actually buy it. At any rate, 50 bucks for three discs and what sounds like a fairly elaborate package-- hardcover book and all-- doesn't strike me as too abnormal; for this kind of project, it seems like it'd be about the norm.

I'd also imagine that the band members themselves have very little to do with the whole thing.

just scott said...

I do believe the "Born to Run" was retailed at least $10 less, and sale-priced further. I have a feeling, that at this point in their career, U2 does indeed have some say.