Friday, October 12, 2007

George Michael

Yep, Michael Clayton is pretty much as good as the critics are saying. I won't say it's in that best movie of the year column, but the shit is still pretty hot. The story is nothing new but one, in the case it is done right, will keep you glued to your seat the whole time. I suppose it reminded me a lot of The Insider, Michael Mann's masterpiece, with its muted colors and constant scenes at night/early morning. Also similar to The Insider, Clayton is a slow-moving expose that requires your full attention. Don't worry though, you will be rewarded that you did.

George Clooney thankfully dials the smarm down a decent amount, somewhat reminiscent of his role in Syriana. And then there is Tom Wilkinson (the dad in In the Bedroom among other great performances), who could have made his role of high-priced corporate lawyer gone nutty with a conscience into a completely unbelievable farce. However, as good as Clooney is, I think Wilkinson is what holds this together as his role could have easily gotten out-of-hand and been made into a sideshow distraction by lesser actors. Perhaps more than you realize until you are finished with it. My only possible problem is a certain characters moral flip-flop towards the end which seems a little sudden for me. But hey, you can't always have perfection. Grade: A-

1 comment:

J. Lincoln Hurst said...

I liked it A LOT, though for a while I wasn't sure if I was going to. By the end, however... well, let's just say it won me over in a big way. More later from me, too, I hope...