Monday, September 10, 2007

The VMA's: Another Night of Musical Supremacy

No, I don't currently have cable. But I have read enough about the MTV Awards last night that tell me nothing much has changed in the MTV land. I guess it also tells me that even though MTV doesn't show videos anymore (besides something like 3-5am and TRL - they still have that right?) that its still all the same people watching it. Well, actually I guess its not. Cause apparently the ratings are down and they thought it might be a good idea to bring a paunch-bearing Britney in to open the show with some damn fine lip-syncing.

I guess the question is does anybody still give a shit about Britney Spears whether she was fat or not? I mean, she wasn't really faaaaaat, just definitely not thin. Well, beyond that, its what is being presented to us as true artists. Apparently there were truly "credible" artists whose performances in their "suites" at the hotel it was hosted were cut off. I mean, I'll give you Kanye (though his head apparently has swelled to about the size of Minnesota), but JT and Fiddy, Foo Fighters and Fall Out Boy? I mean I think Courtney Love is insane but...okay, she is. But I don't know what to call Dave Grohl anymore. I can't believe this is the same guy that was in Nirvana and made the incredible "The Colour and the Shape". And as far as FOB courting to the "punk" crowd? Please. I know a few of you have tattoos and that Pete wears lots of eyeliner (and hell, even Andy Hurley used to play in a straight-edge hardcore band)...but you guys are nothing but preening, pretentious douchebags.

What it comes down to I guess, is that MTV simply does not trust the public enough to simply put good artists out in front of them and let them perform. Its all about tricks and gimmicks. How many collaborations can we line up? Surely the audience doesn't want to watch anyone perform by themselves...cause...that would be like a concert? Oh shit! Not that. I'm not even going to address the "awards" they handed out. But, then again MTV hasn't really been interested in music for many years. I guess MTV2 still does Headbangers Ball and the odd indie-spotlight, but even that station is no longer about music. The title of the blog says that the radio is broken, obviously the television is too when it comes to music.

No comments: