Monday, September 17, 2007

Brett...What Have You Done?

I know that punk labels don't exist for indie-coolness. That's for Paste Magazine and the like. I know that I have supported, in one fashion or another, Epitaph and its subsidiaries(Anti/Hellcat) for close to 15 years. From Bad Religion to Rancid to The Weakerthans to Tom Waits (among many others). I have purchased cds, purchased downloads and purchased t-shirts, merchandise, etc.

Brett Gurewitz, I do not understand why you decided to leave emusic http://17dots.com/2007/09/13/an-epitaph-for-epitaph/#more-1043. You have not, as far as I can tell, given any official response. This has only caused further fury among your previously loyal customer base. Perhaps those who are more inclined toward purchasing only from the Anti catalog will view itunes as a somewhat viable option, as indie-hipsters tend to be willing to pay more than the average punk fan (believe me, I've seen it at music stores, not of the chain variety, and of course bookstores). I do not view this as a viable option. As a listening and organizing tool, I think itunes is just fine. I own two ipods. However, I have yet to purchase a song, let alone an album, from itunes, nor do I plan to in the future. As do many others.

The used cd route that emusic has suggested, is a bit naive I think. Sure, occasionally you can find used cds through Amazon for $3, and I'm sure that Amazon does some very fine business through it. However, what has been forgotten is the obligatory $2-3 shipping fee to go along with the always constant mystery of who you are buying it from, unless of course you have shopped from them before. Still Brett, if this option is pursued, your artists do not see a god damn dime. You tell me how that is good for business. If you honestly think that this decision is going to benefit your artists, then please, tell us how in an official response. Thanks. Dude.

No comments: